Socio-demographic characteristics and perceived constraints of the farmers to crop production in selected barangays of Cawayan, Masbate, Philippines

Jacob Fredrick P. Velza, Roger Y. IbaƱez, Jr., Novy R. Clores, Donata L. Valler
Corresponding email: [email protected]


This study was conducted to comprehend the agricultural status of farmers by analyzing their socio-demographic characteristics and their perceived constraints in farming. The study utilized a descriptive research design and employed a well-structured survey questionnaire to gather data. The study found that the average age of farmers in Cawayan, Masbate was 50 years old. Farmers in Cawayan were dominated by male farmers (71%), with an average of five children (5) and 58% of them had not completed elementary education. The education level of their children was also low, with 23% not completing elementary years. It was observed that 39% of the farmers’ children were unemployed and only 20% of the 114 farmers’ children under legal age were working in relation to farming, with the remaining 80% having another source of income. The majority (62%) of the farmers in Cawayan were classified as small farmers, with land ranging from 1 to 2 hectares. Seventy-three percent (73%) of the farmers engaged in farming solely to produce crops for their own consumption. In terms of the perceived constraints faced by the farmers, soil fertility and water supply were the main problems related to natural resources. The high cost of inputs such as fertilizers, planting materials, pesticides, labor, and machinery was the top problem for farmers. Another significant difficulty the farmers experienced was a lack of understanding regarding how to use these supplies efficiently. The farmers believed that free inputs, free training and seminars, better irrigation systems, and financial help were all answers to these issues.

Full Paper PDF

Please direct all official communications to [email protected] to ensure timely and efficient delivery of your message.